- 300 grams baked, pureed butternut squash cooled to room temperature (see instructions below)
- 500 grams sourdough starter
- 150 grams water
- 1 tbsp malt extract
- 300 grams whole wheat flour
- 200 grams sifted spelt flour
- 25 grams whole rye flour
- 125 grams unbleached bread flour
- 2 tsp salt
To make the puree: Wash the butternut squash, half and seed before baking at 350F until soft. At this point the peel comes off very easily and the pulp can either be pureed in a food processor or put through a food mill. This process yields a fairly dense puree but not as thick as the canned pumpkin sold at the grocery store.
To make the bread, mix all the ingredients by hand or with a stand mixer until the dough comes together and is tacky but not sticky. You may need to add more flour depending on the consistency of the puree you use.